ALL CANADA GRIDIRON
Tue, 26-Sep-17 @ 01:07:22PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

-= ACG Homepage =- Recent Posts Twitter Facebook All Pro   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: SFU going NCAA D-2  (Read 26764 times)
This sucks!!!
« on: Tue, 07-Apr-09 @ 09:59:35PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

SFU to apply for NCAA membership

If accepted, school will wait three years before becoming full members

BY MARC WEBER, THE PROVINCEMARCH 27, 2009

Simon Fraser University will apply for NCAA Division II membership by this year's June 1 deadline and, if approved, plans to move all its teams there by the 2011-12 season.

SFU's board of directors voted Thursday morning to support the athletic department's application to the major U.S. sporting body, which in a landslide vote in January 2008, opened its doors to Canadian schools for the first time.

"It's about our historical roots with the Pacific Northwest, and we also realize that travel within the Canada West has become quite cumbersome," said SFU athletic director Dr. David Murphy.

Clan teams competed en masse in the U.S.-based NAIA until the late 1990s when their conference dissolved and their NCAA advances were rejected because the league's constitution didn't then allow for Canadian members.

High-profile sports football and basketball shifted their affiliation to Canadian Interuniversity Sport in 2000-01 and women's volleyball and wrestling now compete in Canada, too.

SFU would join the D2 Great Northwest Athletic Conference, which includes the likes of Western Washington University.

Murphy said the plan calls for moving their NAIA sports into D2 in 2010-11 and the CIS sports the following season, though he admitted concern over a potentially messy divorce. SFU basically came to CIS hat in hand a decade ago.

"Oh yeah, absolutely [I'm concerned]," said Murphy. "But I think if anyone looks at it intellectually, I don't think they should take this personally. Hopefully there will be an orderly discharge.

"As I've said to the CIS, this is not anti-CIS. I personally love CIS. But there are times when you have to do things for your own particular needs."

NCAA officials meet in July and if SFU is accepted, they would go through a three-year process before becoming full-fledged members.

University of B.C. athletic director Bob Philip was a central figure in the push for NCAA membership -- his reasoning based largely around an increase in athletic scholarships and the ability to keep the best Canadian athletes at home -- but UBC officials are still deliberating.

The matter is more complicated for UBC, which among other things could choose to keep some sports in CIS, if allowed.

The issue of dual membership will be discussed by CIS in April and voted on in mid-June. That's past this year's NCAA application deadline, but UBC could still choose to apply for the following year.

CIS chief executive officer Marg McGregor, who met with the presidents of both universities in October, wasn't surprised by Thursday's news.

"It's something that CIS was anticipating," she said. "We'll be sad to see SFU leave."

SFU has won four of the last eight CIS women's basketball championships.
Report to moderator   Logged
JDM
Global Moderator
CIS Player

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20-Apr-09 @ 11:29:04PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

UBC's President blocks NCAA move
VANCOUVER/CKNW(AM980)
Jim Mullin
4/16/2009

CKNW has learned that UBC President Dr. Stephen Toope has stopped UBC Athletics run for south of the border, at least for now.

There was word out of the president's office Wednesday night that UBC won't be applying to join NCAA Division II next year, citing a host of issues that make it very impractical. A formal announcement will be made Thursday afternoon.

Toope cites the potential one million dollar cost for American academic accreditation, a divided university community with 52% of respondents in a survey against the idea, and the idea that UBC should wait and see if the CIS will make changes to their structure regarding scholarships and tiering competition at their annual meetings in June.

CAUTION ! POST MAY CONTAIN:
  • SARCASM (may be wet or dry)
  • SATIRE (may incl spoof)
  • IRONY (may be tempered)
  • Any combination or none of the above
not quite
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20-Apr-09 @ 11:40:52PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

for the most part that is accurate except that it was not the president that blocks the move. Trust me when i say this the head coach is not in favor of going to D2 and the reasoning was correct, but it was not the president, it was the head coach. and his reasoning does make sense but i can also see why SFU wants to go D2.
JDM
Global Moderator
CIS Player

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21-Apr-09 @ 11:44:07PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

The article is accurate.  A head coach does not have the authority to block anything.....unless he's coaching OLine  Grin

Perhaps the coach has pointed out, to the administration, the short comings of the move..... thus the move to block.

Whatever the underlying motive, it may provide a little push to the CIS to restructure. Traveling costs would still be prohibitive for a two tier system without solid corporate sponsorship.

Not Quite
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27-Apr-09 @ 05:53:55PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

No, i personally talked to the head coach and it is he who wants to stay CIS.
JDM
Global Moderator
CIS Player

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28-Apr-09 @ 12:12:24AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Glad to hear that, but the point still remains..... the coach does not have the authority to stop the process, he needs to go to the administration, which he obviously did.

Remember, if the administration was onboard for the move to NCAA, and the coach wasn't. He could very easily be replaced.

not quite
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28-Apr-09 @ 09:34:32PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

ya ok that is true
hold on
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17-May-09 @ 11:22:30PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

for the most part that is accurate except that it was not the president that blocks the move. Trust me when i say this the head coach is not in favor of going to D2 and the reasoning was correct, but it was not the president, it was the head coach. and his reasoning does make sense but i can also see why SFU wants to go D2.

Why should we "trust you"?  It's been openly said by recruits that Goveia had used going to the NCAA as a recruiting tool.  I believe its the UBC President who has the budget foresight and, like JDM said, the power to put a stop to it.  Goveia made a lot of promises in the media to alumni and recruits when he took over.  His program has not improved.  I don't think there's a lot of 'trust' about what he's said or done at all.
JDM
Global Moderator
CIS Player

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18-May-09 @ 06:26:51PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

There are other monetary considerations also. Perhaps the administration did not feel the benefit outweighed the cost.

Consider: 

1) Travel - Passports (all players and staff would need them to be legal to enter US)
2) Travel - Costs for airlines and buses are up with increased fuel costs.
3) Playing surface (would need to be reconfigured for NCAA play)
4) Officials (need to be NCAA certified)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: