ALL CANADA GRIDIRON
Fri, 14-Dec-18 @ 08:09:29PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The 2019 All Canada Bowl will be for Two Age Groups JR Stars Grad 2022/2023 & SR Stars 2020/2021 Fill Out  & Submit Response Form https://goo.gl/forms/vgibAaehb5WMR8yA2

-= ACG Homepage =- Recent Posts Twitter Facebook All Pro   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Mustangs vs Gee-Gees  (Read 831 times)
Western fan
« on: Sat, 13-Oct-18 @ 12:15:32PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Still 0-0 in the 1st, despite Western starting with excellent field position twice.  UWO play calling is a bit disappointing since they're making pretty big gains with the run & not sticking with it & forcing Ottawa to stop them.  Hopefully they'll put some points on the board.  Western D is playing great.
Report to moderator   Logged
Western fan
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13-Oct-18 @ 12:46:16PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Stangs O moving ball well on the ground, but costly turnovers are preventing good scoring opportunities.  9-0 Western but it should be about 21-0...hopefully these mistakes won't cost them later on.
Western fan
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13-Oct-18 @ 01:34:07PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

UWO with a great 3rd down stop to turn it over then quickly move down the field for their second TD to extend their lead to 19-0.  How much longer can the Ottawa D keep it close assuming their offense continues to have short drives...?
Western fan
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13-Oct-18 @ 01:39:57PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

A curious observation re: Western O - does anyone know if Harry McMaster is injured/sick/not well?  I don't recall seeing any passes thrown his way & usually he is an instrumental part of the Mustangs passing game.  Maybe it's just solid coverage by the GGs?
Western fan
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13-Oct-18 @ 01:45:39PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Alex Taylor breaks another big one for the TD to extend the Mustangs lead to 26-0.  He's had about 3 or 4 big runs, including the "almost TD" that ended in a fumble in the endzone that Ottawa recovered. 

Nice to see the Stangs O finally get moving and I'm pleasantly surprised to see the D not give up a point so far...can they secure the shutout??
Western fan
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 13-Oct-18 @ 02:01:37PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Mackenzie Ferguson with a big run back after the INT leads to another Mustangs TD, 33-0 and this game is well in hand. 
SHS
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 13-Oct-18 @ 02:52:27PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

A curious observation re: Western O - does anyone know if Harry McMaster is injured/sick/not well?  I don't recall seeing any passes thrown his way & usually he is an instrumental part of the Mustangs passing game.  Maybe it's just solid coverage by the GGs?

I think it had something to do with Ottawa's Number-1.  But you're right, I don't think the Mustangs took a shot to McMaster all day.  Although, they seemed to be running Majoros deep, from the slot, while McMaster stayed within ten-fifteen yards of the line of scrimmage.

You can only see so much on the computer, though.  I could be completely out to lunch.
Purple#Reign
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 13-Oct-18 @ 03:28:08PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

McMaster was in the game however, I don't recall a pass thrown his way. It wasn't a great day to pass with that strong wind. Western  Defence had as solid performance today with the shutout.  Once again that Mustang running game was firing on all 8 cylinders. Great game by Alex Taylor rushing for 225 yards, as he became the all time leading rusher in Western History. Congrats Alex!!!
Stangs Fan
Minor Football

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 13-Oct-18 @ 03:54:34PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I think it had something to do with Ottawa's Number-1.  But you're right, I don't think the Mustangs took a shot to McMaster all day.  Although, they seemed to be running Majoros deep, from the slot, while McMaster stayed within ten-fifteen yards of the line of scrimmage.

You can only see so much on the computer, though.  I could be completely out to lunch.
I was at the game and I don't recall them targeting McMaster a single time, definitely not on a deep shot.  Not great conditions for the passing game with the wind.    The Western D looked dominant, the Ottawa U running game couldn't get anything going.  Ottawa didn't even come close to breaking one for a big gain, the Mustangs were just swarming the runner.  Thurston just blew through the line  almost untouched on that third down play and crushed the RB. 

Taylor looked great, nice to see him get the Western record, well deserved!
Question
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 13-Oct-18 @ 05:33:12PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

McMaster was in the game however, I don't recall a pass thrown his way. It wasn't a great day to pass with that strong wind. Western  Defence had as solid performance today with the shutout.  Once again that Mustang running game was firing on all 8 cylinders. Great game by Alex Taylor rushing for 225 yards, as he became the all time leading rusher in Western History. Congrats Alex!!!

The CHRW radio announcers said Taylor was 20 yards short of the record.  It sure if that’s true, but I’d actually like to see him get the record at home on Homecoming.

Either way a great game for Taylor!
Next week’s line-up
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 13-Oct-18 @ 09:02:30PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Who do you think will start for UWO in next week’s Homecoming game vs Laurier, especially since they clinched 1st place? 

My prediction:  the regular starters start but come out by the half...this leaves them healthy for the playoffs and still gives them playing time & the Stangs a good shot at winning.

Thoughts?
Right
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 13-Oct-18 @ 11:16:34PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Who do you think will start for UWO in next week’s Homecoming game vs Laurier, especially since they clinched 1st place? 

My prediction:  the regular starters start but come out by the half...this leaves them healthy for the playoffs and still gives them playing time & the Stangs a good shot at winning.

Thoughts?

If Western is up big at half the starters will come out. They will play the first half since it is homecoming and the crowd will be large. They will let the starters play and get some reps to prepare for the playoffs.  They won’t do what they did a few years ago when they went to Queens after clinching first, sat a bunch of starters and laid an egg, then lost in the playoffs. 
SHS
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 14-Oct-18 @ 11:14:11AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

A couple of years ago the same question came up during a Western TV broadcast, re: sitting or pulling starters.  Nigel Wilson (the former receiver and coach) said that, even though injury concerns are a part of the equation, starting positions are too hard to win to take from a deserving player.  Gameday is the pay-off for getting in the playbook, knowing one's assignments, achieving benchmarks in the weight room, staying academically eligible and, obviously, performing on the field.  You can't take that away from a starter just because you might be concerned about injuries, or if the score gets out of hand.  Injuries happen.  As do blowouts.  Performing at home, at homecoming, in front of one of the best crowds they'll see this year, has got to be one hell of a pay-off for all the hard work those kids put in.

Let. Them. Play. 
Stangs Do It Right
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 14-Oct-18 @ 11:24:45AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Western has been through this before and should have learned by now. You play your starters for at least a half and see how things are going. If your up by a bunch maybe take out 2 or 3 irreplaceables but with a bye week coming up these guys need reps. In the 2nd half its time to sub if your up. If not play to win the game with some key 2nds but don't start that sitting out everyone cause it will come back to bite you. Western seems to have learned a lot in the past year or so and I'm sure they will do this right. It would be a shame to see them not end up at 8 and with this talent and depth. Snyder will exert his influence to see its done right.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: