ALL CANADA GRIDIRON
Mon, 15-Oct-18 @ 03:23:37PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Response Form All Canada Bowl www.goo.gl/57g9aN for 2019 Grades 9/10 & 11/12

-= ACG Homepage =- Recent Posts Twitter Facebook All Pro   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Reply  |  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Week 8  (Read 4161 times)
deeznuts
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 13-Oct-18 @ 06:22:09PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

No time for commentary this week, just predictions. Here we go:

Windsor (1-5) at Laurier (3-3):  Laurier by 17
Carleton (4-3) at York (2-4):  Carleton by 14
Western (6-0) at Ottawa (5-1):  Western by 24
Toronto (0-6) at Guelph (3-3):  Guelph by 14
McMaster (4-2) at Waterloo (3-3):  Mac by 3

Season prediction record:  28-11

Windsor at Laurier:  Predicted Laurier by 17, they win by 15.  WLU offense showed some decent numbers today but playoff hopes seem to be fading.  The Hawks had pretty high hopes heading into the season, but the wheels fell off in week 3.  Next week's outcome might be a foregone conclusion, but let's play the game.

Carleton at York:  Predicted Carleton by 14, they win by 15.  Offensive numbers in huge favour for the Lions while Ravens post over 100 yards in penalties.....but Carleton performs where it counts, on the scoreboard.  The Ravens finish with a pretty decent record, and get a chance to re-group and playoff prep.

Western at Ottawa:  Predicted Western by 24, they win by 33:  Thought this "close" game would have seen some points by Ottawa.  The Stangs could have scored more, but they ensured that their defense is in top condition with this shutout.

Toronto at Guelph:  Predicted Guelph by 14, Gryphs win by 38.  The Gryphs celebrate with a big win against the OUA"s worst team (who's down to their 3rd QB).  Do they make the playoffs?....let's see who's without a chair when the music stops next week.

McMaster at Waterloo:  Predicted Mac by 3, Warriors win by.....18!  Looks like I gave the Knox-less Marauders way too much credit here....maybe they forgot their #freeGK t-shirts at home this week.  Either way, the strength of this team gives up close to 500 yards of Warriors offense, while their offense enjoyed a lot of 2 and outs.  3 out of thier 4 wins come by a combined 5 point differential.  This team could have easily have been sitting at 1-6 at this point.....but that's ok, they've got a ton of soap opera drama to keep them in the news!
Report to moderator   Logged
nice summary
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 13-Oct-18 @ 07:13:32PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

So what was decided today? Have probably missed something but a quick look reveals this.

Western is first, homefield and bye no matter what and from there on it gets interesting..
Ottawa has the inside track for 2nd at 5-2 with 1 game left vs Queens. A win and they are 2nd and a bye. A loss to Queens and they fall into a log jam at 5 and 3 and tie breakers.
Carleton is done at 5 and 3 and will be in a tie breaker scenario.
Both Waterloo and Guelph are 4 and 3 and  play each other so one will be 5 and 3 and in a tie breaker scenario. If Ottawa loses the 5 and 3 teams all have a tie breaker shot at 2nd.
Loser of Waterloo and Guelph game goes to 4 and 4.
McMaster is 4 and 3 with one game left vs Windsor which they should win but who knows. A win would put them at 5 and 3 and into the tie breakers at 5 and 3. A loss to Windsor and they are in tie breakers at 4 and 4.
Laurier is 4 and 3 right now but faces Western and are probably looking at a loss which would leave them at 4 and 4 and in a tie breaker with the other 1 or 2 4 and 4 teams.They lose tie breakers head to head with Waterloo, McMaster and Guelph. So if things hold true Laurier surprisingly will miss the playoffs unless there are upsets.
Queen's is 3 and 4 with one game vs Ottawa. A loss and they are out. a win and they are in tiebreakers at 4 and 4.

Nice summary. Thanks.

I can help a little. Waterloo smokes Guelph, Western beats Laurier, Ottawa beats Queens, Mac beats Windsor. Then what??
UWFan
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 13-Oct-18 @ 07:13:52PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Having Nketiah and Kernick was huge for Waterloo today. Good job from Waterloo not putting it into the hands of the kicker this week
Gryphon Time
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 13-Oct-18 @ 09:48:00PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Another good game by the Gryphons today in their 46-8 win over Toronto. Gryphons had 2 hundred yard runners today. Jewan Jeffrey 125 yards on 17 carries and JP Cimankinda having the best day of his rookie season 119 yards on 13 carries and 1 touchdown. 8 different receivers registered catches today. Huge game for the Gryphons next week at home vs the Waterloo Warriors. Both teams are 4 and 3 and need the win to get to 5 and 3. Still an opportunity for the Gryphons to get to second place and the coveted bye if they win and everything falls in place. Look for Cimankinda to get more and more playing time as the Gryphons power back. Gryphons appear to hitting their stride right as we get ready for playoffs after a slow start to the season.
easy there
« Reply #44 on: Yesterday at 10:47:10 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Another good game by the Gryphons today in their 46-8 win over Toronto. Gryphons had 2 hundred yard runners today. Jewan Jeffrey 125 yards on 17 carries and JP Cimankinda having the best day of his rookie season 119 yards on 13 carries and 1 touchdown. 8 different receivers registered catches today. Huge game for the Gryphons next week at home vs the Waterloo Warriors. Both teams are 4 and 3 and need the win to get to 5 and 3. Still an opportunity for the Gryphons to get to second place and the coveted bye if they win and everything falls in place. Look for Cimankinda to get more and more playing time as the Gryphons power back. Gryphons appear to hitting their stride right as we get ready for playoffs after a slow start to the season.

Easy there big boy. Fact is Guelph hasn't beaten anybody with a winning record this year that I can think of.Win vs Laurier seems tarnished. Cupcake schedule. When you beat Waterloo at home maybe you can get more excited. But that ain't gonna happen.
Gryph fan
« Reply #45 on: Yesterday at 10:54:30 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

We are hitting stride our D is top notch second only to Western!

We have our own Ford at QB and our running game is rolling downhill

Top it off with our HOME FIELD advantage this week

We will block at least two punts this week - MARK IT DOWN

Easy again
« Reply #46 on: Yesterday at 11:00:55 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Are you using stats based on averages that include a bunch of cupcakes to justify number two defence ?? Wow. Thought you knew better than that. Only stat that matters is W's. BUT, if you wanna use stats how does Landers even tie Ford's shoes??Ford is off the charts. I will give you the kicking game edge begrudgingly. If Loo had you kicking for them they'd be 6-1.
please please
« Reply #47 on: Yesterday at 11:06:10 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Shut Up..... Shut Up. Please........ just shut up.
Still drinking!
« Reply #48 on: Yesterday at 11:59:08 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Have to love them Guelph idiots...still drinking that cool-aid!

Guelph D
« Reply #49 on: Yesterday at 03:43:18 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Waterloo hasn't faced a D like the Gryphs. No way Tre Ford runs loose like he did against Mac. Guelph 34 Waterloo 6
Still drinking!
« Reply #50 on: Yesterday at 03:46:14 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Waterloo hasn't faced a D like the Gryphs. No way Tre Ford runs loose like he did against Mac. Guelph 34 Waterloo 6

Ha! Ha!.....and Guelph hasn't faced an O like Waterloo.

Guelphites are such pompous asses!
Guelph Ready
« Reply #51 on: Yesterday at 04:10:19 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Guelph defence will put the stops on Ford both his passing and his running. The Mac defence looked like swiss cheese. The Gryphon front 7 will put pressure on Ford this week. Against Mac he sat there and waited seconds for guys to come open. Guelph with Wilson, Cimankinda, Kapelenski-Lamoureux, Robinson and Corfield and will put the heat on big time. Korol, Reinhart and Kalenga will put a stop to their RPOs and late developing crossing routes. Warriors will be in for a rough time this weekend.
Westerns Domination
« Reply #52 on: Yesterday at 05:41:36 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

After watching Western totally dominate Ottawa, the 2nd best team in the OUA, you realize how great the disparity is between Western and the rest of the league. Ottawa played hard and Western rotated guys through so it showed Westerns talent, strength and above all their depth. Score was 33-0 but really flattered Ottawa. It could have been much greater. Have to wonder how one team can get so far ahead of the pack.
Partial answer
« Reply #53 on: Yesterday at 06:08:20 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I’m a Mustangs fan and my personal opinion is that one of the crucial “X Factors” for Western’s current success is the OC.

I think they had many of the necessary tools to be more successful in 2011, 2013, and most recently in 2016, but I feel that the addition of Snyder at OC has led to more strategic play-calling that benefitted the Stangs at the end of last season and the team generally seems to have more confidence as a unit when they need to overcome adversity in the form of late-game deficits (I can’t say whether that’s related to Snyder but it’s definitely a nice change from years’ past).  

Incidentally, it does seem to me that Marshall appears less tense and more rational in stressful situations since last year too.

Beyond this, success attracts talent and Western is a desireable place to play for prospective recruits so UWO has an effective talent pipeline.  With all of this said, let’s not forget that the Stangs had 2 very close, “losable” games vs Carleton & Queen’s so one thing they cannot do is assume they’ll win vs “inferior” opponents....they need to go out, respect their opponents & fight hard every game and not assume other teams will cave due to their perceived advantage in talent or whatever.
Still drinking!
« Reply #54 on: Yesterday at 06:11:33 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Guelph defence will put the stops on Ford both his passing and his running. The Mac defence looked like swiss cheese. The Gryphon front 7 will put pressure on Ford this week. Against Mac he sat there and waited seconds for guys to come open. Guelph with Wilson, Cimankinda, Kapelenski-Lamoureux, Robinson and Corfield and will put the heat on big time. Korol, Reinhart and Kalenga will put a stop to their RPOs and late developing crossing routes. Warriors will be in for a rough time this weekend.

Let's just wait and see what happens in the game.....then you can get cocky.
Yup
« Reply #55 on: Today at 02:33:30 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I’m a Mustangs fan and my personal opinion is that one of the crucial “X Factors” for Western’s current success is the OC.

I think they had many of the necessary tools to be more successful in 2011, 2013, and most recently in 2016, but I feel that the addition of Snyder at OC has led to more strategic play-calling that benefitted the Stangs at the end of last season and the team generally seems to have more confidence as a unit when they need to overcome adversity in the form of late-game deficits (I can’t say whether that’s related to Snyder but it’s definitely a nice change from years’ past).  

Incidentally, it does seem to me that Marshall appears less tense and more rational in stressful situations since last year too.

Beyond this, success attracts talent and Western is a desireable place to play for prospective recruits so UWO has an effective talent pipeline.  With all of this said, let’s not forget that the Stangs had 2 very close, “losable” games vs Carleton & Queen’s so one thing they cannot do is assume they’ll win vs “inferior” opponents....they need to go out, respect their opponents & fight hard every game and not assume other teams will cave due to their perceived advantage in talent or whatever.

Agree with this post in its entirety.  Greg had a grab-bag approach to play calling with little, if any, strategy involved.  He also was/is stubborn to the point of going for it on third and one/two yards even having been stopped previously.  Did not communicate (did not wear phones) with the “eye in the sky” for coverages, weaker areas in the fronts, etc.  Greg knows offence as well as any coach in the country but the addition of Snyder has a more, for lack of a better term, more modern approach to play calling.  With a new contract, both Greg and Western are in good shape for the next 6 years—as has been stated before, “it’s not the x’s and o’s, it’s the jimmies and joes” and Greg has few peers as a recruiter. 
SHS
« Reply #56 on: Today at 10:08:12 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Agree with this post in its entirety.  Greg had a grab-bag approach to play calling with little, if any, strategy involved.  He also was/is stubborn to the point of going for it on third and one/two yards even having been stopped previously.  Did not communicate (did not wear phones) with the “eye in the sky” for coverages, weaker areas in the fronts, etc.  Greg knows offence as well as any coach in the country but the addition of Snyder has a more, for lack of a better term, more modern approach to play calling.  With a new contract, both Greg and Western are in good shape for the next 6 years—as has been stated before, “it’s not the x’s and o’s, it’s the jimmies and joes” and Greg has few peers as a recruiter. 

In 2007, 2008 and 2010 he won Yates Cups doing that.

How soon we forget.

I do like him and Stangs playing the field position game, though.  Short fields exposes the D.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Reply  |  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: