ALL CANADA GRIDIRON
Mon, 24-Sep-18 @ 03:15:49PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Watch 2018 All Canada Bowl Live Sat. July 28 1pm BC time on www.vbnsports.com

-= ACG Homepage =- Recent Posts Twitter Facebook All Pro   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Let's Talk AUS Officiating  (Read 845 times)
Competency
« on: Mon, 09-Oct-17 @ 06:26:36PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Let's open this up. I know that anyone who has seen officiating in any other USport division can honestly comment on the huge difference. Why? How can it be improved? Is the league looking at doing something about it? Go
Report to moderator   Logged
Laughing out loud
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10-Oct-17 @ 12:41:06PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

By all the responses you have so far I would say you left everyone speechless! Haha, I can confirm that the AUS Officiating is broken. I don't know why or how to fix it, but it exists. Good luck.
No options but
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11-Oct-17 @ 06:07:54AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

There are no options, other then to OPEN your wallets and hugely pay for outside officials if you want other officials.

End of thread.
Unacceptable
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11-Oct-17 @ 10:01:04AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

There are no options, other then to OPEN your wallets and hugely pay for outside officials if you want other officials.

End of thread.

I find that unacceptable. Is the entire league knows that a problem exists within AUS officiating then something must be done to align the level of competency to that of other areas. Throwing money at an official's issue just kinda means you are "buying the refs". USports and the associations in charge of Officials at the CIS level need to find out the root cause and put together an action plan to correct it. Might I dare say it is a training issue? Maybe it will cost those associations a little bit of money to get AUS stripes trained to the same standards as OUA, The Q, CanWest but USports can't just say "unless you all pay more money nothing can be done"
Level of Local Games
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11-Oct-17 @ 05:46:54PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I won't say that I agree that the AUS officials are having issues.  But it they are there is one obvious reason..number of games per year and level of game per year.

In the OUA, the OUA officials work OV and OP in the summer which all use 6 man crews.  Also the NFC uses 6 and 7 man crews.  When the Fall comes there is Jr football.  Again 7 man crews.   

Also most local Associations have plenty of HS games and often minor league games.

So an OUA official can work about 50 games a year... some do less and some do more.

How many HS teams in  Halifax now... 6..

So an AUS official can work 6 or 7 CIS level games and another 8-10 HS games.   

Just saying that their opportunity to work high level games is drastically lower than that of the Q or OUA. 

Paying officials won't get them more high level games a year.  More local football will help them.
Only in Halifax
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 12-Oct-17 @ 06:51:02AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

So you only have HS football in Halifax, no where else in the Province? If not, it is not like Ontario where refs can travel up to 8 hours there and back to do games both in the summer and in the fall. So the opportunity should be there to do more games.  I travelled 450kms yesterday to do two HS games. Is that the norm , no, but if you want to work games, you travel. Have done 600kms in a day to do some games and some in the summer have done over 800kms to do one Summer Rep game.

Do the work is the answer, unless all you have are games in Halifax, I guess.  Do the University refs there, not transition through the College League first, and the NB/NS Challenge games in the Summer? Is that all the Summer Rep you have?
Ontario HS
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 12-Oct-17 @ 07:58:41AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

So you only have HS football in Halifax, no where else in the Province? If not, it is not like Ontario where refs can travel up to 8 hours there and back to do games both in the summer and in the fall. So the opportunity should be there to do more games.  I travelled 450kms yesterday to do two HS games. Is that the norm , no, but if you want to work games, you travel. Have done 600kms in a day to do some games and some in the summer have done over 800kms to do one Summer Rep game.

Do the work is the answer, unless all you have are games in Halifax, I guess.  Do the University refs there, not transition through the College League first, and the NB/NS Challenge games in the Summer? Is that all the Summer Rep you have?

It may be different in some areas of Ontario but our local high school games are 1 or 2 officials total working the games and they are all locals. These guys & gals never ref a CIS/OUA game. I don't think they have the qualifications. I do like the idea of putting in the work for the AUS refs not just in University level but at high school. But here lies the question...what is the quality or the expectation in the Atlantic high school leagues? If they only have 1 or 2 officials each game and expectations are low, with different focuses on calls will it really make them better equipped and experienced for AUS?
WOW....
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 12-Oct-17 @ 09:07:56AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

It may be different in some areas of Ontario but our local high school games are 1 or 2 officials total working the games and they are all locals. These guys & gals never ref a CIS/OUA game. I don't think they have the qualifications. I do like the idea of putting in the work for the AUS refs not just in University level but at high school. But here lies the question...what is the quality or the expectation in the Atlantic high school leagues? If they only have 1 or 2 officials each game and expectations are low, with different focuses on calls will it really make them better equipped and experienced for AUS?

What area are you in to only use 2 in Ontario?, I am shocked that they would leave themselves open to that kind of situation, where most of the off the ball stuff, etc just can not be watched, and knowing many coaches who would use that to their advantage. Most areas use a minimum of 4 and a lot now use 5 or 6 for HS 5 for Junior 6 for Senior
guest1234
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14-Oct-17 @ 08:19:10PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

There is so much HS football in Toronto, they use 3 man crews and they do games just about every day of the week.
Go East
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 16-Oct-17 @ 05:55:56AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

What area are you in to only use 2 in Ontario?, I am shocked that they would leave themselves open to that kind of situation, where most of the off the ball stuff, etc just can not be watched, and knowing many coaches who would use that to their advantage. Most areas use a minimum of 4 and a lot now use 5 or 6 for HS 5 for Junior 6 for Senior

Eastern Ontario but it sounds like other areas have problems too (like the TOronto post). I have seen many games not start on time because the 2 officials had to do an earlier game 40 minutes away and those same 2 need to travel to do the next one. If you have 5-6 officials at your games I would say that you are blessed! Yes, the areas with low officials numbers have coaches and players that take advantage of it. And I can tell you right now, nobody doing our games could think of doing an OUA game, so they are not "getting experience" by doing lots of HS games.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: