ALL CANADA GRIDIRON
Fri, 24-Nov-17 @ 04:18:26AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

-= ACG Homepage =- Recent Posts Twitter Facebook All Pro   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: CFL in Toronto  (Read 703 times)
Minor League
« on: Thu, 03-Aug-17 @ 07:42:36PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Watching, briefly as the NFL Hall of Fame game is on, the Argos hosting to Stampeders to an almost empty BMO Stadium.  Toronto is major league in hockey, basketball, and baseball and will not support a minor league--yes, the CFL is not "the Show", team.  The CFL draws in the West, with the exception of Vancouver, but what the hell else is there?  Me--I enjoy the CFL to a point but watch it rarely once the NFL begins.  In my area of southwestern Ontario--near Sarnia, there are very few who watch the CFL.  Would rather watch the top league in any sport.
Report to moderator   Logged
Tanker1
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04-Aug-17 @ 01:25:11AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Anyone who enjoys football like multiple different leagues and wants them to be successful . "Minor League" is a poser. The TSN TV Contract provide high TV ratings & lots of money to CFL teams to the point of actual fan attendance is far less important that it used to be.
Vancouver is more than half from asia thanks to liberal immigration policies shifting 90% of immigration to the 3rd world, and so is Toronto. These cultures do no understand or care about football. The CFL currently has commercials showing kids of multiple backgrounds playing flag football.
Any idiot can understand hockey after watching it for 5 minutes. Football Canada is building up Grassroots in every Province but it is barely played on most of the East Coast.
The fans who go to games in Saskatchewan, Calgary and Edmonton are blue collarish/middle classish caucasians which also appears to be the case in Ottawa and Hamilton.
Toronto needs 15-20,000 plus TV to compete in CFL, plus they are now owned by a huge conglomerate that can offset the losses with profits from the Maple Leafs. MLSE
Jeyue
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04-Aug-17 @ 01:41:54AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Toronto already proved it has no interest in the #NFL and it's high prices to the dim bulb who started this thread. The Buffalo Bills pulled the remaining games in the Toronto contract because they made no profit and the Toronto promoters had to paper the house with discounted and free tickets.
Most people with an attention span can watch both CFL, NFL and NCAA. U Sports Canadian University needs to get a national game of the week on TV, sad they have not.
The NFL has some truly godawful games not to mention some of their ridiculous rules on Overtime, PI and "what is a catch" to name a few. NFL athletes are some of the worst criminals and reprobates on planet earth. The CFL has a long proud history and will long after the bitchy poster is gone. Hall of Fame Game ha ha ha ha ha, they have been in camp for a week, that game is 3rd & 4th stringers.
More Effort Needed
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04-Aug-17 @ 06:46:12AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

"Minor League" has a point and Jeyue you are wrong. There isn't much interest in Canada for the CFL and it is to do with promotion. They should do more to promote this sport, participating in community events, sports events, etc. Long proud history of the CFL is not going to stop it from disappearing if it continues like this.
My Thoughts
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04-Aug-17 @ 10:15:00AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I don't think it's fair to call the CFL "minor league".  It is the 2nd best league in the world.  It bothers me when casual fans say that the players in the CFL suck.  They're all great players.  I played in the CIS.  The guys who play special teams in the CFL and ride the bench were absolute beasts in CIS.  Look at the CFL rosters, they're filled with guys who played at major NCAA D1 programs.  Of course the NFL is better, but the CFL doesn't suck and the players definitely don't suck.  The NBA is obviously the best bball league in the world.  That doesn't mean that the guys playing in Italy and Spain are garbage.  They are excellent players.

As for the Toronto problem.  I think Toronto fans are a bit snobby and elitist.  I am from Toronto, born and raised.  I think we are used to having access to the top pro sports leagues (NBA, MLB, NHL), and many people here who don't follow CFL are big NFL fans who would support a Toronto NFL team.  Leafs are huge in Toronto, but what do the Toronto Marlies draw?  The OHL isn't as popular in the GTA as it is in smaller towns.  I think Toronto fans are a bit spoiled in that we think we're a major "American" market.
That's Nice
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 05-Aug-17 @ 09:19:24AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Toronto already proved it has no interest in the #NFL and it's high prices to the dim bulb who started this thread. The Buffalo Bills pulled the remaining games in the Toronto contract because they made no profit and the Toronto promoters had to paper the house with discounted and free tickets.
Most people with an attention span can watch both CFL, NFL and NCAA. U Sports Canadian University needs to get a national game of the week on TV, sad they have not.
The NFL has some truly godawful games not to mention some of their ridiculous rules on Overtime, PI and "what is a catch" to name a few. NFL athletes are some of the worst criminals and reprobates on planet earth. The CFL has a long proud history and will long after the bitchy poster is gone. Hall of Fame Game ha ha ha ha ha, they have been in camp for a week, that game is 3rd & 4th stringers.

OK--no minor league but:  the NFL minimum, that's MINIMUM salary for a rookie this year is US$465000 rising to $495000 in two years--likely more than any CFL player.  My guess that there is not one CFL player who would not rather play in the NFL than the CFL.  For sure, there are good football players in the CFL but the CFL mines the NFL waiver wire for cuts--the NFL does not peruse the CFL wires for players.  Charter flights home after every game, no trains, no commercial carriers as in the CFL.  Glad to find out that there are absolutely no CFL players who have never been charged with any crimes.  And quotas--how the hell does a league pretend to be top-flight when mandating that X number of players must be Canadian?  Hey, nice to have nice, pure CIS kids on a CFL team but to be there because they're Canadian at once states that they wouldn't be there without a quota rule.  At least the Canadian adopted the forward pass from the US, went to six points for a TD from 5, changed to American terms such as centre, guard, tackle, wideout from snap, inside, middle and flying wing and blocking on a punt return which was not allowed in Canada.  Note the officials signals--now they have adopted the mechanics of the US game. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: