ALL CANADA GRIDIRON
Fri, 14-Dec-18 @ 01:16:24PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The 2019 All Canada Bowl will be for Two Age Groups JR Stars Grad 2022/2023 & SR Stars 2020/2021 Fill Out  & Submit Response Form https://goo.gl/forms/vgibAaehb5WMR8yA2

-= ACG Homepage =- Recent Posts Twitter Facebook All Pro   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down
  Reply  |  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: SMU Recruiting  (Read 8121 times)
AUS Observer
« on: Tue, 17-Jan-17 @ 12:42:58PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Just saw where SMU has picked up University of Manitoba transfer, Lerenzo Ihanza. He has got to be one of the top WR in the country as he was heavily recruited out of high school. Archelaus Jack is another great pick up. Both will be big targets for their new QB recruit, Kaleb Scott, who will be probably one of the top 3 or 4 QBs in the country. Check out some of his tape.

SMU is looking great so far this off-season and I expect them to contending for an AUS Championship next season. Colzie is the real deal, by the looks of things.
Report to moderator   Logged
Good find
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17-Jan-17 @ 02:16:31PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Good find in that QB, but it looks like hes been a bit of a Berglund by bouncing around from school to school. NAIA, NCAA D2, no CIS. Will his age allow him 4 years eligibility for SMU?
Another AUS Observer
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17-Jan-17 @ 03:28:32PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

It looks like he graduated from high school in 2014 ... not sure what eligibility he has burned. A quick look shows that he racked up some stats for Lenoir-Rhyne last season, so I doubt he'll be eligible for the upcoming season. There's another Scott listed under SMUs commits, and also from Mount Albert. He's a York transfer - wonder if it's a relative of Kaleb's?
Good find
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 17-Jan-17 @ 03:58:40PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

The Lenoir-Rhyne stint and his time with the Malone Pioneers in the NAIA won't keep him from playing this season. The good old America rule. Transfer whenever you want and play right away (from the USA) That's why you see so many bouncing over to CIS, they can play right away. The only issue could be with his age. The max out for CIS is still 25 I believe. He will be on the roster and playing in September.
football viewer
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 17-Jan-17 @ 05:17:41PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I am not sure, but I believe the NCAA playing years count against his CIS eligibility. 

He played for 3 years in the US, so he should only have two years eligibility up here. Also he would have graduated in June 2014, and Huron heights often get their players to victory lap, so he could be 22 in 2017. CIS age limit is 24

Either way two years max
Sensible AUS fan
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 17-Jan-17 @ 06:51:01PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Ok now let's not get carried away calling some kid who put up 119 yards in five games in junior last year and got cut from Manitoba the year before as a top receiver in the country. I saw countless receivers in the CIS this last season put up 120 yards in a game. Don't go saying some guy is gunna be great when nothing he has done since the idiots at  put him in the top 100. Sources say he has a crap attitude and that is not the way to rebuild a program.

Second whenever a QB is switching teams every year there is always a reason. Either he isn't as good as everyone thinks he is or he has a bad attitude and coaches would rather lose without him than have him.

SMU coaches have a long way to go
AUS Observer
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18-Jan-17 @ 07:47:19AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks for the information, Sensible. Always curious as to why some guys flip around so much. didn't know that Ihenza got cut from Manitoba ... just remember watching his highlight film back when he was being recruited out of high school. He's a big body for sure and maybe has the tools to be a great player?

Yeah, it looks like SMU might be up to their old ways. Instead of building up a program with young prospects, they seem to be looking for the one-hit wonders. It's not sustainable and does nothing to build cohesion within the program. Maybe Colzie is being pressured to put a winning product on the field immediately. It's still a little early to determine how Colzie is making out with this recruiting class. I guess we'll see what type of student/athlete he's attracting once more names start rolling out.
Snoopy
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18-Jan-17 @ 07:55:07AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks for the information, Sensible. Always curious as to why some guys flip around so much. didn't know that Ihenza got cut from Manitoba ... just remember watching his highlight film back when he was being recruited out of high school. He's a big body for sure and maybe has the tools to be a great player?

Yeah, it looks like SMU might be up to their old ways. Instead of building up a program with young prospects, they seem to be looking for the one-hit wonders. It's not sustainable and does nothing to build cohesion within the program. Maybe Colzie is being pressured to put a winning product on the field immediately. It's still a little early to determine how Colzie is making out with this recruiting class. I guess we'll see what type of student/athlete he's attracting once more names start rolling out.

Archelaus Jack is 23 years old and has signed with the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the CFL. So, I'd definitely say this could be a "one-hit" wonder, as you say. He'll be dominant at the WR position in the AUS for sure, if he has someone to throw it to him.
takes a mix
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18-Jan-17 @ 09:38:07AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Colzie is trying to bridge the gaps he will face in terms of player development with some of these dudes.

He thinks he can win some games and build some positive momentum with this older type of talent in the short term, and buy the program some time to develop their younger players they recruit now.

I think he will win some games in the AUS this way - as noted, dominant athletes can be dominant football players in the AUS - and close the gap between SMU and the top of the AUS...

The real question will be if they can actually develop kids and move from this transitional period into a deep roster of veterans that have been there for several seasons.
Peter Gryphon
CIS Player

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18-Jan-17 @ 06:56:40PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I am not sure, but I believe the NCAA playing years count against his CIS eligibility. 

He played for 3 years in the US, so he should only have two years eligibility up here. Also he would have graduated in June 2014, and Huron heights often get their players to victory lap, so he could be 22 in 2017. CIS age limit is 24

Either way two years max

Likely 3 years to go. If he transferred from one American school to another, he either redshirted then transferred, or he sat out a year. In either of those situations he would have used 2 years of eligibility with 3 remaining. 

As I recall Scott was recruited by the team in Canton OH as a triple option QB.
Informative
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 19-Jan-17 @ 09:32:24AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Are we all sure that NCAA years (non-redshirt) count towards CIS eligibility years? If so, there are a few former NCAA players out there that might need looking at. I could be wrong but Mike Occonnor went to UBC from a full ride at Penn. I thought he was there 2 years, maybe redshirted one but what about the other? Even if he didn't "play" and was 6th string would that not count? There is a big list of players at big CIS schools that jumped from the NCAA. Are we doing this on the self police/honour system still?
Peter Gryphon
CIS Player

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 19-Jan-17 @ 10:04:39AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Are we all sure that NCAA years (non-redshirt) count towards CIS eligibility years? If so, there are a few former NCAA players out there that might need looking at. I could be wrong but Mike Occonnor went to UBC from a full ride at Penn. I thought he was there 2 years, maybe redshirted one but what about the other? Even if he didn't "play" and was 6th string would that not count? There is a big list of players at big CIS schools that jumped from the NCAA. Are we doing this on the self police/honour system still?

Can you think of a single example where a CIS school tried to "cheat" when it comes to the eligibility of an NCAA transfer. The eligibility problems I recall in the past decade [Laurier, York, Queen's, Montreal, UBC, Calgary] did not involve NCAA players.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20-Jan-17 @ 02:28:32PM by Peter Gryphon » Report to moderator   Logged
CIS OBSERVER
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 19-Jan-17 @ 01:40:56PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Ihanza did not get cut from Manitoba he failed out then played CB in junior because his team had no dbs he will be a huge addition the huskies program where he will be playing both sides of the ball get your facts straight before bashing a kid
AUS Observer3
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 19-Jan-17 @ 02:41:43PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Ok now let's not get carried away calling some kid who put up 119 yards in five games in junior last year and got cut from Manitoba the year before as a top receiver in the country. I saw countless receivers in the CIS this last season put up 120 yards in a game. Don't go saying some guy is gunna be great when nothing he has done since the idiots at  put him in the top 100. Sources say he has a crap attitude and that is not the way to rebuild a program.
Second whenever a QB is switching teams every year there is always a reason. Either he isn't as good as everyone thinks he is or he has a bad attitude and coaches would rather lose without him than have him.
SMU coaches have a long way to go

And this is where your wrong Ihanza and improved on his attitude tremendously and he's improved his academics, yeah he had rough start right out of high school but if you don't know the kid and what happened on each times then why are you even discussing him? I've recently trained him and compared to the past the kid is completely different and only for the better. He is a great kid with a even better future
Informative
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 19-Jan-17 @ 04:46:00PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

The rules are pretty freaking simple. Cases are straight forward when you know the actual facts of each case.

Can you think of a single example where a CIS school tried to "cheat" when it comes to the eligibility of an NCAA transfer. The eligibility problems I recall in the past decade [Laurier, York, Queen's, Montreal, UBC, Calgary] did not involve NCAA players.

Thanks for your wealth of knowledge as usual PG. Zero answers and lots of cheap shots. Why don't you stick to your beloved OUA boards and talk Guelph!
Informed Consent
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 19-Jan-17 @ 10:47:49PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Scott has 2 years left. I know his high school coach and he explained the situation. In 2014 Scott started as a true freshman at Malone D2 in the GLIAC. Malone then announced they were dropping down to a smaller conference (which they have) and Scott decided to transfer rather than play at a lower level. There was a lot of interest and he finally chose Lenoir-Rhyne (a top ranked team in 2014). Unfortunately, those coaches left after his first year there and the new head coach brought his son with him who is also a QB. Shockingly the coaches son was named the starter (sarcasm) and Scott was left with a tough decision. 1 year at Malone and 2 at Lenoir-Rhyne. He decided to come home and play. He has 2 seasons left in the U.
Informative
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 20-Jan-17 @ 08:59:34AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Scott has 2 years left. I know his high school coach and he explained the situation. In 2014 Scott started as a true freshman at Malone D2 in the GLIAC. Malone then announced they were dropping down to a smaller conference (which they have) and Scott decided to transfer rather than play at a lower level. There was a lot of interest and he finally chose Lenoir-Rhyne (a top ranked team in 2014). Unfortunately, those coaches left after his first year there and the new head coach brought his son with him who is also a QB. Shockingly the coaches son was named the starter (sarcasm) and Scott was left with a tough decision. 1 year at Malone and 2 at Lenoir-Rhyne. He decided to come home and play. He has 2 seasons left in the U.

Thank you very much for clarifying this. That is something that seems to be in short supply on here.
Newz flash
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 21-Jan-17 @ 11:29:35PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Here's a bit of news nobody seen coming. Reports had him having already left the school shortly after the season ended for them. The reports seemed to be legit since he had been through 5 or 6 schools in his post secondary football career and his age is definitely "up there". In this interview Colzie dropped the bomb, Burglund will be back for another season.  Shocked
http://m.hamiltonnews.com/sports-story/7066493-ancaster-s-alex-petty-heads-to-halifax-on-football-scholarship
Both True
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 23-Jan-17 @ 08:36:12AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Here's a bit of news nobody seen coming. Reports had him having already left the school shortly after the season ended for them. The reports seemed to be legit since he had been through 5 or 6 schools in his post secondary football career and his age is definitely "up there". In this interview Colzie dropped the bomb, Burglund will be back for another season.  Shocked
http://m.hamiltonnews.com/sports-story/7066493-ancaster-s-alex-petty-heads-to-halifax-on-football-scholarship

Both stories are true ... Berglund left shortly after season ended AND he will be back next year. What's the big deal? You don't play football after December anyway.
Newz flash
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 23-Jan-17 @ 09:05:08AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hmmm...I thought there was a minimum number of courses/credits an athlete must take to remain eligible? Also a certain GPA? So a school can sign an athlete to play football and they are not required to go to class or take part academically, that's a new one.
Both True
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 23-Jan-17 @ 10:50:00AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Why couldn't a player leave school at Christmas and then decide to re-enroll in September ... start all over again. It's not like he has any intention of staying beyond Christmas this year either.
Peter Gryphon
CIS Player

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 23-Jan-17 @ 12:45:53PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Berglund, like every other USport student-athlete, has to have 6 credits during the 2016-17 academic year to be eligible for the next season. That is not hard to achieve since the normal course load is 5 per semester. Berglund may have 3-5 credits from the Fall semester. He should be able to take a course or two on-line. He can return to school and pick up a credit or two in a 6-week Summer session.
what you\'re saying
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 23-Jan-17 @ 02:02:40PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

So what you are saying is that Berglund was enrolled in some classes in September 2016, left school in November after the season ended, somehow passed those classes without attending the last bit of that semester? He is still not on campus so the new semester has begun so is he enrolled in classes and not attending? Even though this is all speculation on my part it seems unlikely that Berglund will have successfully passed 6 credits in the 2016-17 year (unless it was in Distance Learning for Adults  Grin ) Then he will need to enroll for the 2017-18 year of school to compete in September?
Peter Gryphon
CIS Player

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 23-Jan-17 @ 02:48:01PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

So what you are saying is that Berglund was enrolled in some classes in September 2016, left school in November after the season ended, somehow passed those classes without attending the last bit of that semester? He is still not on campus so the new semester has begun so is he enrolled in classes and not attending? Even though this is all speculation on my part it seems unlikely that Berglund will have successfully passed 6 credits in the 2016-17 year (unless it was in Distance Learning for Adults  Grin ) Then he will need to enroll for the 2017-18 year of school to compete in September?

That's ^^^ what an anonymous poster is saying.

The SMU Head Coach has said, "Berglund will be back".

I will believe the Head Coach over an anonymous poster because it is very easy for an athlete to stay eligible even if he doesn't take classes in the Winter semester.
Real deal
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 23-Jan-17 @ 03:57:21PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

What is really being said here is that the rules are there to be manipulated and broken if you want to and you know how to do it.  Perfect. SMU will get a couple of wins out of Berglund but they will show everyone that a long term plan is not worth it. Immediate short term wins, instant results.
I hope the new QB recruits and any vets get the chance to improve and compete for the job before the next 5 school wonder is found for 2 years of eligibility.
Ex-SMU fan
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 24-Jan-17 @ 09:38:22AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I don't know how coach colzie could possibly keep the respect of his players if he brings berglund back. It's well known around smu that he doesn't attend classes and is enrolled in classes taught by the athletic director of SMU. if berglund comes back the aus and usports should really be forced to take a look at his academics because it doesn't take a genius to see that something is up. All berglund proved is that he is a pretty good athlete who was allowed to do whatever he wanted and it really exposed tufford as a bad coordinator that their offence was terrible and the only time they made players was when berglund freelanced. This is not how you consistently win football games.

Secondly about Inhaza, you can have a biased opinion about him because you know him personally, but I spoke to west shore teammates and Manitoba teammates and 0% of them vouched for this guy being a good team guy.

And get your head checked if you think this guy is gunna play both ways lol, no one is the CIS plays both ways. If there was anyone on SMU that would have played both ways it would have been #33 deandre smith last year. Specially with the subpar play of their running backs.

I wouldn't be surprised if berglund comes back that a number of players sit out to transfer elsewhere.
Two Way
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 24-Jan-17 @ 10:55:28AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I don't know how coach colzie could possibly keep the respect of his players if he brings berglund back. It's well known around smu that he doesn't attend classes and is enrolled in classes taught by the athletic director of SMU. if berglund comes back the aus and usports should really be forced to take a look at his academics because it doesn't take a genius to see that something is up. All berglund proved is that he is a pretty good athlete who was allowed to do whatever he wanted and it really exposed tufford as a bad coordinator that their offence was terrible and the only time they made players was when berglund freelanced. This is not how you consistently win football games.

Secondly about Inhaza, you can have a biased opinion about him because you know him personally, but I spoke to west shore teammates and Manitoba teammates and 0% of them vouched for this guy being a good team guy.

And get your head checked if you think this guy is gunna play both ways lol, no one is the CIS plays both ways. If there was anyone on SMU that would have played both ways it would have been #33 deandre smith last year. Specially with the subpar play of their running backs.

I wouldn't be surprised if berglund comes back that a number of players sit out to transfer elsewhere.

If Berglund does come back, Tufford would be wise to change his offensive philosphy and use Berglund's strengths to his advantage. I agree with you, Tufford is junk so I don't see that happening.

As for two way players, both Trivel Pinto and Marcus Davis (before he was lost to injury) played both ways this year for UBC. In fact, Pinto, who is a WR, was a Can West All Star at DB!! He had 3 picks, over 500 yards REC and 8 TDs. As well as being the main returner. It can be done, but only by the most special of athletes. I believe Pinto is the best non QB in the country, but that's my opinion.
News flash
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 24-Jan-17 @ 12:50:23PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

If what you say is true (re:Berglund) then the image of the AUS will be that of a controversial school/HC combo on the opposite coast...terrible! I'm not talking caliber, I'm talking the line between moral and immoral, the line between following the rules and using the loopholes in the rules. This also will tarnish the CIS/USport even more as a league that has zero interest in enforcing rules save that of 3rd party random drug tests that don't require their staff to administer. Long term this will hurt SMU and CIS.
Come On Man
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 24-Jan-17 @ 01:36:44PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

If what you say is true (re:Berglund) then the image of the AUS will be that of a controversial school/HC combo on the opposite coast...terrible! I'm not talking caliber, I'm talking the line between moral and immoral, the line between following the rules and using the loopholes in the rules. This also will tarnish the CIS/USport even more as a league that has zero interest in enforcing rules save that of 3rd party random drug tests that don't require their staff to administer. Long term this will hurt SMU and CIS.

Come one man. Condemning the entire AUS for the actions of one school? I don't paint the entire CanWest with the same brush I use to paint UBC, so why would it go the other way around?
Not the only one
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 24-Jan-17 @ 01:48:03PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Guys, you're acting like Berglund is the only player in the country who doesn't attend class or who will take 3 classes in the summer to be eligible for the next season. As PG said earlier on this thread,this is fairly common practice. I think the non commitment of the kid is the thing that upsets/scares me the most. But let's be real LOTS of kids don't go to class and plenty of kids use Spring/Summer sessions to stay eligible for the next season for many different reasons (failed classes, winter training for Combine, etc...). I know of much worse cases where kids have had to pass more than 3 classes in Spring/Summer to stay eligible. I would be less worried about the kid's academics and how he is going to stay eligible and more worried about the fact he offered very little on the field other than mobility.
Peter Gryphon
CIS Player

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 24-Jan-17 @ 02:07:13PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

If what you say is true (re:Berglund) ....

You are a fool if you are going to believe that without any corroborating evidence. Therefore, it is ridiculous to follow through with your assertion.

... then the image of the AUS will be that of a controversial school/HC combo on the opposite coast...terrible! I'm not talking caliber, I'm talking the line between moral and immoral, the line between following the rules and using the loopholes in the rules. This also will tarnish the CIS/USport even more as a league that has zero interest in enforcing rules save that of 3rd party random drug tests that don't require their staff to administer. Long term this will hurt SMU and CIS

It seems more and more like someone is just trying to smear SMU.
PG be gone
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 24-Jan-17 @ 06:02:20PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

That's ^^^ what an anonymous poster is saying.

The SMU Head Coach has said, "Berglund will be back".

I will believe the Head Coach over an anonymous poster because it is very easy for an athlete to stay eligible even if he doesn't take classes in the Winter semester.

Was it not you that said you believe the HC over an anonymous poster? So you believe Colzie. I really think that your self righteous a$$ should grab your bottom lip really tight, pull really hard so it goes over your head...and swallow! Problem solved!
Peter Gryphon
CIS Player

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 24-Jan-17 @ 07:42:49PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

What a clever response.   Cheesy Roll Eyes
Poaching
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 30-Jan-17 @ 08:25:53AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I see where two of the commits announced by SMU are guys coming over from Mount Allison, Rodrigues and Shillingford (although the other website only declares Shillingford as a transfer, for whatever reason). It's been a while since I've seen anyone transfer out of their current AUS school to go to SMU.
DAWG POUND
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 30-Jan-17 @ 11:38:36AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Rodriques played junior ball out west last season he is not a transfer from Mount A he left there in 15.  Lets not start a witch hunt about pouching here some kids are not happy in certain programs it happens all over the country.  Mount A is having a very good recruiting class coach Brady is doing a good job retooling.  Best of luck to all 5 AUS teams this season its an exciting time in the AUS.
Poaching
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 30-Jan-17 @ 12:35:40PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Rodriques played junior ball out west last season he is not a transfer from Mount A he left there in 15.  Lets not start a witch hunt about pouching here some kids are not happy in certain programs it happens all over the country.  Mount A is having a very good recruiting class coach Brady is doing a good job retooling.  Best of luck to all 5 AUS teams this season its an exciting time in the AUS.

My bad ... shouldn't have used the word "Poaching" as it was not what i intended. Apologies. I guess I was just searching to see if anyone knew anything they could share about the transfers. Didn't know that Rodrigues wasn't at Mount A last year either - I hope he has a great year. SMU's class looks strong so far.
Ok, but ...
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 30-Jan-17 @ 02:03:37PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Rodriques played junior ball out west last season he is not a transfer from Mount A he left there in 15.

Didn't Ihanza play Junior ball last year? He's listed as a transfer from Manitoba.
All True
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 31-Jan-17 @ 07:47:45AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Rodriques played junior ball out west last season he is not a transfer from Mount A he left there in 15.

Didn't Ihanza play Junior ball last year? He's listed as a transfer from Manitoba.

True. But, I think the discrepancy has more to do with the folks at  not being on the ball (or blissfully unaware) then it has to do with how long a kid has been removed from a certain program. For instance, I see that Scott Borden (Alberta recruit) listed as a transfer from SMU and I'm pretty sure he left that program a couple of games into the '15 season.
Moot Point
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 06-Feb-17 @ 08:08:50AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Likely 3 years to go. If he transferred from one American school to another, he either redshirted then transferred, or he sat out a year. In either of those situations he would have used 2 years of eligibility with 3 remaining. 

As I recall Scott was recruited by the team in Canton OH as a triple option QB.

Well, it might be a moot point anyway. I don't see his name listed anymore under SMU's recruits. Change of heart?
Halifax News
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 06-Feb-17 @ 10:25:43AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

He didn't sit out last year. NEW CIS rule says players returning to Canada are eligible right away. He is currently enrolled and practicing with the team.
Moot Point
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 06-Feb-17 @ 11:06:21AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Wonder why his name was removed from the list of recruits on that other website?
Phone a Friend
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 06-Feb-17 @ 12:20:27PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

He didn't sit out last year. NEW CIS rule says players returning to Canada are eligible right away. He is currently enrolled and practicing with the team.

I'm going to use one of my life lines to phone a friend..... PG, could you please confirm (or deny) that if this QB played last year in the USA and transferred to SMU that there is a rule in place saying he can play without sitting a season. Sounds about right.
football viewer
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 06-Feb-17 @ 02:33:36PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

players that are repatriating from a USA university of college do not have to sit out a year to play in the CIS, provided that they have not used up all their NCAA eligibility. If they have used it up, and are not attending the CIS school for a 4th/5th year while taking a graduate program, they are not eligible.
Thanks a bunch
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 06-Feb-17 @ 03:49:36PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Either way two years max

So what you were saying is the years played count towards his total years eligible in the CIS BUT he can play immediately.
football viewer
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 06-Feb-17 @ 04:16:52PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

yes
QB\'s in AUS
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 07-Feb-17 @ 11:56:06AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

So who are the QB's in 2017 for AUS teams? Who is back & who can impact games?

St FX - starter graduated so who steps up?
Mt A - is the rookie of the year in the AUS is back for sophomore year?
Acadia - ?
SMU - is American kid back or eligible to be back? New recruit?
Bishop's - ?

Seems like lots of uncertainty at the QB position in the AUS for 2017.  Mt A seems to be the only lock so far.  Looks like a wide open 2017 season.
Start a new one
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 07-Feb-17 @ 02:17:31PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Start a new thread ... this is a SMU recruiting thread.
Ok then
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 07-Feb-17 @ 08:17:48PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Ok then, how about just sticking to SMUs quarterback outlook? What's the situation? Will Berglund come back and play his second and final season? Rumours abound that he stopped going to class after the season ended and hasn't been seen much, but Colzie was quoted as saying he's back this season and will be starting. Then you have another QB phenom from the US of A (originally from Canada) that has played I believe 2 to 3 years in the NCAA and other leagues. He's another bouncy ball like Berglund. Many feel this kid will step in and take the start. (Again short on eligibility) then there are a couple of returning back ups and a couple incoming rookies but the buzz is that they will not start. What isn't really being talked about is who will SMU groom as the future QB, a 4 or 5 year guy that will lead St Mary's into a bright football future. Go.
How bout it
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 19-Feb-17 @ 09:00:02AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

So how about it SMU? What is up with your QB situation? Let's stick to your thread topic.
Ok Then
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 19-Feb-17 @ 02:25:45PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

A SMU recruiting thread and no mention of Chase Avery from Sherwood Park AB,/Bev Facey HS

Very underrated defensive player, great nose for the ball/ play read, good speed, well built athlete that hits hard.  I was surprised for three season there wasn't more hype on him as players like him are hard to come by.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/3958891/chase-avery

Tale of 2 Josh's?
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 22-Feb-17 @ 03:11:47PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

So, is "Joshua" Henry, recent commit to SMU, the same as "Josh" Henry, the UT commit? Both from Pickering and both 6'4. The SMU commit, however, is 190 lbs and the UT commit is 180 lbs. Last school they played for is different as well. Just seems like quite a coincidence, aside from the slight difference in name and weight.
Sherlock Holmes
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 26-Feb-17 @ 03:33:04PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

So, is "Joshua" Henry, recent commit to SMU, the same as "Josh" Henry, the UT commit? Both from Pickering and both 6'4. The SMU commit, however, is 190 lbs and the UT commit is 180 lbs. Last school they played for is different as well. Just seems like quite a coincidence, aside from the slight difference in name and weight.

Well I'm no detective but I think it's safe to assume that if one is listed with SMU and one is listed with Toronto, that they are two different guys … plus the fact that they're not the same weight. Also I see that their previous school is different, so …
Tale of 2 Josh's?
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 01-Mar-17 @ 03:19:51PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Well, it looks like it may have been the same guy after all cause I notice that the other site has removed the "Joshua Henry" from Toronto's list of recruits. Just seems strange that there was a couple discrepancies between the listings.

1 and Done
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 12-Aug-17 @ 09:17:48AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Ok then, how about just sticking to SMUs quarterback outlook? What's the situation? Will Berglund come back and play his second and final season? Rumours abound that he stopped going to class after the season ended and hasn't been seen much, but Colzie was quoted as saying he's back this season and will be starting. Then you have another QB phenom from the US of A (originally from Canada) that has played I believe 2 to 3 years in the NCAA and other leagues. He's another bouncy ball like Berglund. Many feel this kid will step in and take the start. (Again short on eligibility) then there are a couple of returning back ups and a couple incoming rookies but the buzz is that they will not start. What isn't really being talked about is who will SMU groom as the future QB, a 4 or 5 year guy that will lead St Mary's into a bright football future. Go.

Well from the first reports out of AUS camps it is clear the Colsie was blowing smoke up people's butts, and Berglund is not returning. Add him to a long list of 23-24 year old players recruited as quick fixes but no long term capabilities. Many US players with questionable ethics, morals and behaviour issues. SMU needs to do better.
coach interest
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 13-Aug-17 @ 09:54:48PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

There is a story going around that a well known OUA assistant coach is very desparate in coming to SMU to coach. Shocked when I heard this story so it can't be true but who would actually leave to come here. Any guesses who it might be?
who knows
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 14-Aug-17 @ 11:09:58AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Who knows, probably just rumour but you sure do sound worried that SMU might be making some improvements and bring in some talent  Smiley
Egg on Your Face
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 15-Aug-17 @ 07:40:14AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Well from the first reports out of AUS camps it is clear the Colsie was blowing smoke up people's butts, and Berglund is not returning. Add him to a long list of 23-24 year old players recruited as quick fixes but no long term capabilities. Many US players with questionable ethics, morals and behaviour issues. SMU needs to do better.

From what I've heard, Berglund had a pretty tough injury to get over after one of his games last year, possibly a re-injury, which most likely ended his career otherwise he'd have been at SMU this year... much to your chagrin. 
He spent the last two years at Northern Colorado. He had surgery in training camp each year, ending any promise there. "I think he's got a ton of experience. He's got great leadership qualities from where he's been. With the injuries he's had, he was able to sit and take on a bit of a coaching role and learn the other side of the game.

Erdmann subbed in for No. 1 quarterback Brock Berglund. Berglund, an NCAA transfer, was injured last week against Bishop's and will be re-evaluated in the next few days.

https://www.localxpress.ca/local-sports/x-men-take-control-of-aus-football-428530

https://twitter.com/brockberglund?lang=en
Sunny Side Up
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 16-Aug-17 @ 09:36:14PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

No egg on this face! The injury from Bishops is not what made him walk this season. He left campus days after his season ended and said bye bye. He was a 1 and Done, Colzie style...and he will have a few more like him this season
The Yolks on You
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 17-Aug-17 @ 06:39:17AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

No egg on this face! The injury from Bishops is not what made him walk this season. He left campus days after his season ended and said bye bye. He was a 1 and Done, Colzie style...and he will have a few more like him this season

Wrong you are again - and you know it, but it won't stop you from trying to spread mis information...for your own agenda. He can't play any more due to injuries.  He had an ugly one a couple years ago and has been plagued by it since.  The injury last year made things worse and did him in. You won't see him on any fb field this year, or next..or next.  

Brock Berglund‏ @brockberglund  8 Oct 2014
More
 Two foot surgeries in 6 months...  Glad that it's finally over.  Let the recovery process begin.

He spent the last two years at Northern Colorado. He had surgery in training camp each year, ending any promise there.

https://www.localxpress.ca/local-sports/well-travelled-berglund-hopes-to-find-home-with-huskies-379789

He's had a lot of injuries.  I believe he had foot surgery just last year.

Whether you like Colzie or not, that is a separate issue and has nothing to do with what happened to Berglund.  Keep to the facts if you want respect. Separate your animosity for Colzie for the truth about this guy.  Try it once. Sounds like sour grapes on your part...but keep it up, you'll just reconfirm that.  Either you were turfed from SMU or you support another team.  

You must really be worried about SMU doing well this year.  

Ditto
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 17-Aug-17 @ 12:08:15PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Wrong you are again - and you know it, but it won't stop you from trying to spread mis information...for your own agenda. He can't play any more due to injuries.  He had an ugly one a couple years ago and has been plagued by it since.  The injury last year made things worse and did him in. You won't see him on any fb field this year, or next..or next.  

More
 Two foot surgeries in 6 months...  Glad that it's finally over.  Let the recovery process begin.

He spent the last two years at Northern Colorado. He had surgery in training camp each year, ending any promise there.

https://www.localxpress.ca/local-sports/well-travelled-berglund-hopes-to-find-home-with-huskies-379789

Whether you like Colzie or not, that is a separate issue and has nothing to do with what happened to Berglund.  Keep to the facts if you want respect. Separate your animosity for Colzie for the truth about this guy.  Try it once. Sounds like sour grapes on your part...but keep it up, you'll just reconfirm that.  Either you were turfed from SMU or you support another team.  

Ya! What he said! Wait...isn't Brock 25 years old?  Roll Eyes
Nice Try
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 17-Aug-17 @ 07:43:36PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

More

Ya! What he said! Wait...isn't Brock 25 years old?  Roll Eyes

Nope, he's 24, turns 25 in September.  Nice try though.   Cheesy

2014-2015 CANADIAN INTERUNIVERSITY SPORT
•   Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) allows you to compete for 5 years in CIS.  In the sport of football, student-athletes must be 24 years of age or younger as of August 31 of the year of their participation.

Brant Berglund‏ @BrantBerglund  9 Sep 2015
More
 Happy 23rd Brother ✊🏼 @brockberglund #1610

https://twitter.com/BrantBerglund?lang=en
Bobby Bouchée
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 18-Aug-17 @ 06:17:50AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

So he made the cut off by 9 days! Hahaha. I don't know if you are a Brock stalker or the SMU Social Media guy but I think the point anyone is really making would be that the Coach lied in an earlier press release to the tune of Brock is their guy and he has the start & will return. Also many question why so many short term players because it's hard to build a winning tradition of you need to worry every year. Working a player for 4 to 5 years is a blessing. Perhaps this kind of recruiting is temporary and only trying to plug some holes and put SMU on a better path. Players will see a better direction and they will come.
Good luck to Brock, nobody wants to see a player retired for injuries ever, and good luck to Coach and SMU this season.
CSqdnRCD
Minor Football

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 18-Aug-17 @ 07:03:51AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Its funny that everyone is obsessed with Berglund as the article the he is mentioned in was for a QB with 5 yrs eligibility signing at SMU specifically with the intent of development.
Facts and Accuracy Rule!
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 18-Aug-17 @ 10:23:39AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

So he made the cut off by 9 days! Hahaha. I don't know if you are a Brock stalker or the SMU Social Media guy but I think the point anyone is really making would be that the Coach lied in an earlier press release to the tune of Brock is their guy and he has the start & will return. Also many question why so many short term players because it's hard to build a winning tradition of you need to worry every year. Working a player for 4 to 5 years is a blessing. Perhaps this kind of recruiting is temporary and only trying to plug some holes and put SMU on a better path. Players will see a better direction and they will come.
Good luck to Brock, nobody wants to see a player retired for injuries ever, and good luck to Coach and SMU this season.

Neither, just like truth and accuracy - I'm about facts and am thorough.  No doubt Coaches, and Berglund  thought he would return,  so it was not a lie.  The only lies on Berglund seem to be coming from people spreading them.   No doubt his injury - and re-injury last year impacted him more than what most thought.  And for those who don't like the coach there, it was a way to try to make him look bad...including trying to pull the age garbage...suggesting Berglund was too old....which he was not....but that would have been believed if the facts were not thrown out there. 

I am not talking about any other issues you have with Colzie, I was speaking specifically Berglund.  Although there does seem to be a lot of anti SMU comments from some. 

Let's get this straight. If I see a blatant lie, or false info, defaming someone and it's meant to hurt, and it's obviously not true,  than that needs to be corrected.  All anyone has to do to find the truth on Berglund or anyone is a bit of research, if some chooses to believe the lies...that's their problem.  But spreading lies..what for?  What's the motive?

All teams bring in a mix of short and long term players - some holes need to be filled, while they develop other longer term players.  Let's see what develops at SMU along with other CIS  teams.  I like to decide on things, after I see the facts, how things play out, not make assumptions on rumour or false attacks.

All the best to all teams this season.

I doubt anyone will see Brock Berglund on the football field, looks like he is done when you read his injuries.  But all the best to him, and all CIS players this year. 

I have no idea what team is going to excel. Some players you think will do great, have some struggles, or injuries, others you feel may not, end up doing well - hoping none get plagued by injuries.

It's a wait and see. 
Buttttt
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 18-Aug-17 @ 07:47:06PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Its funny that everyone is obsessed with Berglund as the article the he is mentioned in was for a QB with 5 yrs eligibility signing at SMU specifically with the intent of development.

Yep, the young QB in the article has 5 years eligibility...100% truth....while the Coach says that Berglund is our boy! That could scare away some QBs that want an opportunity to legitimately start. True, QBs very rarely start their rookie year but they can dare to dream. I really only question why the smoke and mirrors about who the "starter" was when if his injuries where that severe it would be obvious he was not returning and would not be the guy. Put it open for competition and see what happens.
No Butts....
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 18-Aug-17 @ 09:10:28PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yep, the young QB in the article has 5 years eligibility...100% truth....while the Coach says that Berglund is our boy! That could scare away some QBs that want an opportunity to legitimately start. True, QBs very rarely start their rookie year but they can dare to dream. I really only question why the smoke and mirrors about who the "starter" was when if his injuries where that severe it would be obvious he was not returning and would not be the guy. Put it open for competition and see what happens.

. Why are you making more out of this than what it is.   It's not so difficult to understand.

Obviously from his level of talent .....the plan from all sides including Berglunds'.... was that Berglund was going to be the guy....  He had the talent, smarts. And when you read the events, it sounds like the final Injury, after giving it considerable time to heal, wouldn't.  No doubt, if you're a player, and a coach investing in a guy like this, you are hoping it will, and most likely both coach and player gave it some time to see what happened, like most coaches and players would do. That's most likely why ....in your words it wasn't opened up. No smoke and mirrors,  Obviously the plan was for him to play, and no doubt Berglund wanted to play.  Things didn't work out....

Most likely all thought his injury would heal and after giving it some time, all found that it wouldn't this time....and at some point this year decided it was over.

Some QB's wanting to start will see that situation as a challenge and rise to the challenge, especially if they noticed Berglund had previous injuries he was struggling with.

Read the article on Berglund
https://www.stathblog.com/behind-the-uniform//brock-berglund
Hmmmmmmmm
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 20-Aug-17 @ 09:40:16AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

. Why are you making more out of this than what it is.   It's not so difficult to understand.

Obviously from his level of talent .....the plan from all sides including Berglunds'.... was that Berglund was going to be the guy....  He had the talent, smarts. And when you read the events, it sounds like the final Injury, after giving it considerable time to heal, wouldn't.  No doubt, if you're a player, and a coach investing in a guy like this, you are hoping it will, and most likely both coach and player gave it some time to see what happened, like most coaches and players would do. That's most likely why ....in your words it wasn't opened up. No smoke and mirrors,  Obviously the plan was for him to play, and no doubt Berglund wanted to play.  Things didn't work out....

Most likely all thought his injury would heal and after giving it some time, all found that it wouldn't this time....and at some point this year decided it was over.

Some QB's wanting to start will see that situation as a challenge and rise to the challenge, especially if they noticed Berglund had previous injuries he was struggling with.

Read the article on Berglund
https://www.stathblog.com/behind-the-uniform//brock-berglund

Just checking......Looks like they also put it open for competition ....

Brought in:

Kaleb Scott
https://www./smu-now-home-for-qb-scott/

Alex Petty
https://www.hamiltonnews.com/sports-story/7066493-ancaster-s-alex-petty-heads-to-halifax-on-football-scholarship/
http://www.hudl.com/profile/8372938/alex-petty

Already Had

Cameron Valardo
https://www./local-recruit-makes-pipeline-dream-come-true-with-smu-video/

Liam O'Brien
http://www.smuhuskies.ca/sports/fball/2016-17/bios/o-brien_liam_yz6k
http://www.hudl.com/profile/767669/liam-obrien

He does it again
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 25-Aug-17 @ 09:33:57PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

No sour grapes, just stating what I have seen. Colzie has done it again. Another US player (although this one is a Canadian born player). Kaleb Scott has shown much in his first CIS game and SMU is something to be dealt with this season. If you took all the US players and NCAA trained boys off the roster it would be a different story, but good for you to recruit effectively.
No pretenders
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 26-Aug-17 @ 07:15:33AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

No sour grapes, just stating what I have seen. Colzie has done it again. Another US player (although this one is a Canadian born player). Kaleb Scott has shown much in his first CIS game and SMU is something to be dealt with this season. If you took all the US players and NCAA trained boys off the roster it would be a different story, but good for you to recruit effectively.
An improvement this year for sure, both players and play calling
Could be serious contenders
SMU QB's
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 26-Aug-17 @ 01:52:40PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

SMU looks set at QB with Scott & O'Brien.  Both run the ball well and Scott can throw the rock as well.  There were concerns about QB at SMU but after 1 game they seem to have two athletes at he position who can play.
SMU Ineligible Player
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 06-Oct-17 @ 12:34:47PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

SMU has had to forfeit their first win of the season over Acadia and their exhibition win over STFX due to the use of an academically ineligible player that came to SMU from a CEGEP school.. It brings SMUs record to 4 and 1 now.
wrong way
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 06-Oct-17 @ 03:09:29PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

They lose the 1st real game to X 1-0 and the ex game vs Acadia
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up
  Reply  |  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: