ALL CANADA GRIDIRON
Fri, 14-Dec-18 @ 08:09:34PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Want to Play in the 2019 All Canada Bowl ? East Canada vs West Canada Open Link -Reply-Submit
https://goo.gl/forms/vgibAaehb5WMR8yA2

-= ACG Homepage =- Recent Posts Twitter Facebook All Pro   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Reply  |  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: U19 Team Canada Geographic Bias?  (Read 15614 times)
Geographic Bias?
« on: Mon, 30-Dec-13 @ 10:30:22AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Does anybody else find it odd that the Team Canada U19 roster that was just released only has 6 Ontario players on their 60 man roster?  I'm talking about the team Canada that's traveling to Texas to play Team USA's U19 team in Texas on Feb. 8th....this roster will eventually be cut to 45 players to compete in the IFAF World Championship in Kuwait.

Ontario makes up approximately 40% of Canada's population but only 10% of the Team Canada roster is Ontario kids?!?

I'm also shocked that there's only 2 OUA players on the team, yet U of Saskatchewan has 6 by themselves?  How can 1 CanWest school have 3 times more players on this team than the entire OUA?  Is the young talent at U of Sask that much better then every OUA school?  If I recall correctly, the national recruiting rankings has many OUA schools ranked significantly higher than U of Sask.

Something is fishy here....Hopefully somebody can provide some insight.
Report to moderator   Logged
Clue
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01-Jan-14 @ 09:12:52PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Seriously? You are going to whine about this and yet you are ok with OFA and Team O not having tryouts in different parts of Ontario, and only rostering players from the GTA, London, etc? Little taste of the usual Team O medicine. Can't fight city hall
Geographic Bias?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01-Jan-14 @ 11:00:02PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Seriously? You are going to whine about this and yet you are ok with OFA and Team O not having tryouts in different parts of Ontario, and only rostering players from the GTA, London, etc? Little taste of the usual Team O medicine. Can't fight city hall

I never said I was "ok with OFA and Team O not having tryouts in different parts of Ontario".

I'm just looking for an explanation for the Team CANADA bias.

Although I disagree with this explanation, the OFA can at least "justify" their decision to host tryouts in limited areas of the province......the tryouts are held in the most densely populated areas that tend to be accessible to more players and coaches (which saves the OFA money because they don't have to cover coaching travel expenses).  Again, I'd prefer that the OFA held Team O tryouts in all regions of the province just like Quebec (probably why Quebec destroys us every year)....but at least the OFA has some explanation.

In the case of Team Canada, their head offices are in Ontario, they have several coaches on their staff from Ontario, and there are more football players in Ontario then all other provinces combined.  As far as I can see, their is no logical explanation to explain this bias!

Maybe this year is a statistical anomaly where the talent in the entire province of Ontario isn't as good as the talent at 1 school (U of Sask) Roll Eyes
Good catch
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06-Jan-14 @ 01:56:32AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I noticed this too.  It seems very strange.  I wonder if OUA schools didn't want their athletes participating in this event for some reason, hmmmmm.
Coach Smith
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07-Jan-14 @ 01:55:42PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I am hoping that someone can explain to me why Canada has college players on their roster while the US kids are all high school seniors. Now i know after coaching in Canada for a number of years before moving to Texas to coach that the coaching level is not the same but is that the reason.
Just wondering.
No pop
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07-Jan-14 @ 04:01:40PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I am hoping that someone can explain to me why Canada has college players on their roster while the US kids are all high school seniors. Now i know after coaching in Canada for a number of years before moving to Texas to coach that the coaching level is not the same but is that the reason.
Just wondering.

I think it probably has more to do with the fact that there are 325 million people in the United States compared to only 34 million in Canada.  Just to put things into more perspective for you, there's 10 times more kids playing football in California alone then in all of Canada.
Age of Majority
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07-Jan-14 @ 04:45:42PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

The answer is simple. The guys that are playing are UNDER THE AGE OF 19.No matter where they play.
football viewer
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07-Jan-14 @ 06:37:19PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

A large portion of first year university students from Ontario are victory lappers, meaning they start school in their 19th year. For the team this summer they'd be turning 20 and are ineligable.
nope
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07-Jan-14 @ 06:45:25PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

The answer is simple. The guys that are playing are UNDER THE AGE OF 19.No matter where they play.

I'm pretty sure the Team USA players are under 18 as of Dec. 31 2013, while the Team Canada players are under 19 as of Dec. 31 2013.
What don`t you get?
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 07-Jan-14 @ 06:52:20PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Well ,if you want to put players on your team that are 1 year younger than your opposition then that is your choice!It is still UNDER 19 YEARS OF AGE!
choice?
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 07-Jan-14 @ 07:33:01PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Well ,if you want to put players on your team that are 1 year younger than your opposition then that is your choice!It is still UNDER 19 YEARS OF AGE!

Correct it is Team USA's choice.  They CHOSE to have a competitive game against Team Canada, that is why they use younger players.

If Team USA was made up from the top NCAA freshman like:  Myles Jack, Robert Nkemdiche, Alex Collins, Shock Linwood, Leonard Floyd, Kendall Fuller, Su'a Cravens, Tyler Boyd, Vernon Hargreaves III,  Laquon Treadwell, Jacoby Glenn, Max Williams, Jack Conklin,  Ronnie Stanley, Alex Kozan, Germain Ifedi, A'Shawn Robinson, Joey Bosa, etc.....      then Team USA would beat Team Canada by 60+ points.

Of the 17 year olds on Team USA's roster you won't see any of the top NCAA 5 star prospects like: Jabril Peppers, Leonard Fournette, De'Shawn Hand, etc.

Listen, Team USA has a much larger population to chose from, far more football opportunities for athletes to develop their football skills, and a much more advanced development system, and overall better coaching - especially at the high school level because their high school coaches are PAID!!  
Plus football is engrained in their culture.  

They aren't using 17 year olds exclusively because their coaches are too stupid to select 18 year olds for their team.  They want a competitive game...which they are more likely to get by using younger players.
Miracle on Turf
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 07-Jan-14 @ 08:04:16PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Not so fast on the good old US of A beating Canada by 60+ points.Did you forget about the win by Team World in 2012(made up mostly of Canadians) that beat Division 1 recruits in the International Bowl?
They beat them on their own turf,playing their rules and as you say football is engrained in their culture.
 They don`t want to be just competitive they want to WIN.And you do that by sending your best.
Are you stupid?
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 07-Jan-14 @ 09:30:09PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Not so fast on the good old US of A beating Canada by 60+ points.Did you forget about the win by Team World in 2012(made up mostly of Canadians) that beat Division 1 recruits in the International Bowl?
They beat them on their own turf,playing their rules and as you say football is engrained in their culture.
 They don`t want to be just competitive they want to WIN.And you do that by sending your best.

Stop and think for a minute.  Do you honestly think that the players selected for last year's "Team USA" were the best possible players in the USA?

Are you saying that the Team USA coaches purposely chose not to put any NCAA freshmen on the team last year because they honestly believed that the 17 year old high school players gave them a better chance to beat "Team World" who were using 18 year olds?

You really need to give your head a shake.

And of the 17 year olds on Team USA last year, none of them were 5 star recruits or ranked in the top 20 on any of the major recruiting sites.

So just to clarify, your argument is:

- Team USA coaches want to win so they put together a team of the best possible players in the USA
- The Team USA coaches believed that using 18 year old NCAA freshman would not give them as talented a team as opting for 17 year old high school kids exclusively.
- Of the 17 year old high school kids selected, they chose not to select any of the top recruits in the country as graded by ESPN, Scout.com, Rivals.com, 24/7 scouting?

Poster name "Miracle on Turf", you need to get off the drugs and get back to reality!

I'm not trying to take anything away from Team Canada or Team World.  Both of them played great.  But if the US actually put together a true Team USA with the best possible athletes (of the same age as Team Canada) and the best possible coaches then I can 100% guarantee you that they Team USA would win by over 60 with ease.
Give me the spread
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 07-Jan-14 @ 10:06:09PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

First off ,there is no need for name calling,but I can tell you get angry very quickly. Everyone know the US has a strong football culture. So tell me why the US of A would have to send the "best of the best" in order to compete.In a country of 250 million people couldn`t they put a dozen teams together?,that could beat anyone,anywhere?
Well that hasn`t always happened .Has it!
One more note: Jameis Winston this years Heisman winner and QB for National champions Florida St Seminoles was on that US team in 2012, You don!t get much better than that now do ya?!
Age = more than just a #
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 07-Jan-14 @ 11:20:40PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

So tell me why the US of A would have to send the "best of the best" in order to compete.In a country of 250 million people couldn`t they put a dozen teams together?,that could beat anyone,anywhere?

They could easily put together 20 teams capable of beating Team World IF THE PLAYERS WERE NOT 1 YEAR YOUNGER THEN THE TEAM WORLD PLAYERS!

There is a huge difference in physical development between a 17 year old and an 18 year old.  The physical differences are most apparent on the line.
Coach Smith
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 08-Jan-14 @ 02:17:39PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I understand that the population in the US and the popularity of the sport give the American side the advantage. As far as who is playing most college teams do not like their recruits playing in these all star games. Our program has had a number of high recruits and i know that Texas, LSU and A&M coaches have all said they prefer that their recruits don't play. The Bayou Bowl played between Texas and Louisiana is played almost exclusivly by unsigned players. My question was more along the lines of whether the level of coaching needs to be raised at the lower level to make up for the differences. Not all states pay coaches, here in Texas we are paided and have a athletic period during the school day for football but many states are on a volunteer basis
Yes, true
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 08-Jan-14 @ 03:28:16PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I understand that the population in the US and the popularity of the sport give the American side the advantage. As far as who is playing most college teams do not like their recruits playing in these all star games. Our program has had a number of high recruits and i know that Texas, LSU and A&M coaches have all said they prefer that their recruits don't play. The Bayou Bowl played between Texas and Louisiana is played almost exclusivly by unsigned players. My question was more along the lines of whether the level of coaching needs to be raised at the lower level to make up for the differences. Not all states pay coaches, here in Texas we are paided and have a athletic period during the school day for football but many states are on a volunteer basis

Yes the coaching at the  younger levels in Canada (especially high school) does need to improve to catch up to the US.  By I truly believe that there are many CIS coaches that could easily coach at the NCAA level without skipping a beat.
17>21
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 08-Jan-14 @ 06:46:19PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You actually believe that there is a HUGE difference of the physical development between a 17 and 18 yr old.
There are some 17 yr olds that are physicaly more developed then some 21 yr olds.
Do you think a guy like Jameis Winston all of a sudden became a Stud at the age of 20?
Take some courses on Human Anatomy.

Duh.....so
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 08-Jan-14 @ 09:07:46PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You actually believe that there is a HUGE difference of the physical development between a 17 and 18 yr old.
There are some 17 yr olds that are physicaly more developed then some 21 yr olds.
Do you think a guy like Jameis Winston all of a sudden became a Stud at the age of 20?
Take some courses on Human Anatomy.

^One of the dumbest post I've seen on ACG in a long time.

If you're talking about an elite NCAA caliber 17 year old athlete compared to your average 18 year old high school football player or a typical inactive 21 year old, then yes the superstar genetic freak 17 year old would likely be more physically advanced.

But when you're comparing a NCAA caliber 17 year old high school prospect to an actual NCAA D1 18 year old football player - well then yes the difference is quite significant.  Of course there will be some very rare exceptions...but they are FAR FROM THE NORM.

According to your idiotic logic there should be just as many freshman starting on NCAA teams as sophomores.  Please try to think logically before your next post.
Over and Out
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 08-Jan-14 @ 09:33:58PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Where the players on Team USA in the 2012 International Bowl not elite players then?I was under the impression that the Division 1 schools that these players were committed to were elite! Ohio State ,Nebraska,Florida,Auburn,Michigan etc,etc.
They played a bunch of players that were either in Canadian high schools or attending a CIS school in their first year. Stop making excuses.The US got beat fair and square.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Reply  |  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: