ALL CANADA GRIDIRON
Fri, 29-Aug-14 @ 03:05:13PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: BC Current Star tryouts Sat Aug 16 Rotary Stadium Abbotsford @ 10:30am &  SFU field 4 @ 5:30pm,  Sunday Aug 17 at Sportstown in Richmond 11am

-= ACG Homepage =- Recent Posts Twitter Facebook All Pro   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Reply  |  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Mustang success not related to paying coaches  (Read 3058 times)
ex Falcon Coach
« on: Wed, 13-Jun-12 @ 10:23:54PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

In response to Mustangs are successful because they are paying their coaches, I was a volunteer coach with the London Falcons in 2009. We started the season 6 and 0 and finished 7 and 1 . We lost in the OVFL final to an excellent Torono Thunder team by 9 points and only after our starting QB was hurt on the second play of the game. We practised at silverwoods field and shared it with the Jr Falcons. Players dressed in the parking lot, we has no weight room, no sport specific training and oh I almost forgot, no University coaches. Our coaches and players were committed and no doubt we had talent. I think its great that the Mustangs are providing a University atmosphere for these kids, it might be the only chance they get to experience it. But please don't attribute their success to the fact that the coaches are being paid. There are a lot of knowledgeable coaches in London that are not University coaches that would be 3 and 0 with this group. Best of luck to the Mustangs
Report to moderator   Logged
Seen Both
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13-Jun-12 @ 11:44:32PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I've watched the 2009 Falcons and the 2012 Jr. Mustangs....the 2012 Jr. Mustangs are WAYYYY better than that 2009 Falcons team.
So what seen both
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14-Jun-12 @ 04:32:50PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

To Seen Both.... Are you sure isn't WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better not just WAYYYY better?

7 and 1 is outstanding for any coaching staff.... Can we just give them their props without making meaningless and impossible to prove year over year comparisons?
Much different
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14-Jun-12 @ 10:45:46PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

My son played on the Falcons and is on the Junior Mustangs this year.  Its like night and day in terms of the facilities, coaching, preparation and game film.  Expectations are much higher this year, much more accountability, all the cities best players are out, the players are really buying in to the program, practices are better organized and the parents are much more together.  We are all very happy with the change and can see it in the boys as they develop. 
None Better
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15-Jun-12 @ 09:17:38AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

One of the big strengths of this years Junior Mustangs is their defensive front. It is lead by 4 local top CIS recruits. Western recruits Rupert Butcher 6'5/290 and Hector De La Rosa 6'/235, Windsor recruit Matt Leeming 6'4/280 and Guelph recruit Zac Mallough 6'2/290 are ably backed up by a number of younger top local high school players who get involved in the rotation to always keep fresh players on the field.  Certainly the biggest and best defensive front in the OV this year.
realityis
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15-Jun-12 @ 11:04:07AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

London is/has been one of the best football areas in Ontario.

London, Windsor/Essex, Hamilton, Toronto, Ottawa

There is room for argument, but year after year these are the football 'hotbeds' of the province.

Obviously, bringing together all or most of the best kids in any of these areas would result in a 'powerhouse' team.

Regardless of anyone's opinions, what everyone can agree on is this -

The 'jr mustangs' obviously tried very hard this season to UNITE London summer football under one banner/team (theirs, obviously).

Espo may have done a great job (honestly I have no idea), but I am sure that in building the Falcons, there were people in London football that did not see eye-to-eye with the Falcons - that sentiment seems to be gone now.

Having 'the only game in town' at the CIS level to facilitate that unification has done a lot, most likely.

Now, the question is, can they keep it up - and regardless of anyone's OPINION, only the players and coaches can answer that question by going deep in the playoffs.
guest watcher
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 15-Jun-12 @ 02:12:40PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Well said!!
All those areas are strong!!

What the Jr Mustangs are doing is reshaping the London rep football
landmark.
They have started from Atom going all the way up adopting the University system of doing things.

The product and organization is excellent!

The best players in Atom are showing up and this team will be tough in the playoffs and extremely strong in the SOFAL fall league.

Peewee, Bantam both are young teams with a strong nucleus back next year.

JV -has athletes but has been disappointing in part because of the coaching which has been corrected but may take time before they gel.  Putting 24 points on a strong Essex team is showing this.  If they can win in Cambridge they could turn around their season and be a force in the playoffs.

Varsity- enough said

They key for the Jr Mustangs will be the in flex of players from the OFC team in London who are watching closely.  If the best players from there come and "YES" there are good players and coaches" on the T-Birds then the London Jr Mustangs will become a true power.
The Peewee T-Birds are doing great and the question will be do those players go and play houseleague or do they come to the Jr Mustangs and really try to win the Ontario championship this fall. 
Together they can do it!! Alone they can't. 

It's time for peace the war is over.

The parents need to let the best players play together in the top leagues
That's what the kids want!!
Just look at the Burlington Stampeders strong top to bottom and the envy of many!
That is what London football should be all about!!

Londoner

ExFalcscoach64
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15-Jul-12 @ 08:03:09PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

One of the big strengths of this years Junior Mustangs is their defensive front. It is lead by 4 local top CIS recruits. Western recruits Rupert Butcher 6'5/290 and Hector De La Rosa 6'/235, Windsor recruit Matt Leeming 6'4/280 and Guelph recruit Zac Mallough 6'2/290 are ably backed up by a number of younger top local high school players who get involved in the rotation to always keep fresh players on the field.  Certainly the biggest and best defensive front in the OV this year.
There are lots of variables that come into the why the mustangs are better.  The core players are there from the past falcon teams, butcher, mackie, stewart, borucki, behar, brown etc and there are more. 
These players are veterans now. They all start. 
In addition the mustangs recruited more elite players, more players wanted to come play for the mustangs as espo was not always a fan favourite.
The mustangs watch film now, and only the defense of the falcons watched film and it was optional.
Paying coaches does motivate them and does get you some of the best coaches. Coach bertoria is great coach that has coached stfx, team ontario multiple times, many other teams include being the OC and lead recruiter for uwo.

Facilities don't matter but it is always better to practice in the best faciltieis money can buy.
I coached many of these players in highschool and in falcons

Give credit where credit is due, to the players for getting better each year, buying into the system and to the coaches. Money does help though.
Exfalcon
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 15-Jul-12 @ 10:58:04PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Well I too have been around the OVFL for about 8 years and the varsity Mustangs are the best team to come out of London, Jr Mustangs or Falcons.
This team is good because they are will supported by their management team, run by business people, have the right brand and keep everyone informed quickly and involved.
They also have the top players and coaches all united which had left the Falcons for different reasons.
The OVFL of 2012 is alot different,bigger, and better than those early Falcon teams.
You have to give them there dues but as the league is finding out London football is back.

Bold
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 16-Jul-12 @ 08:26:38AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Well I too have been around the OVFL for about 8 years and the varsity Mustangs are the best team to come out of London, Jr Mustangs or Falcons.
This team is good because they are will supported by their management team, run by business people, have the right brand and keep everyone informed quickly and involved.
They also have the top players and coaches all united which had left the Falcons for different reasons.
The OVFL of 2012 is alot different,bigger, and better than those early Falcon teams.
You have to give them there dues but as the league is finding out London football is back.

Wow some really bold statements here. When you win a game by a rouge there should be a rule that you can't brag about yourself being dominant. By the way that team you almost lost to isn't going to make the playoffs. Just an FYI, if you didn't see their game against Essex anyone who was there will tell you that the score is in absolutely no way reflective of that game. Essex marched the ball all over London and couldn't finish. Then the QB gets knocked out. If London plays Essex in the final Essex will win, and maybe even a convincing win by 14. Calm yourselves down and take a cold shower in London, if you think you punched a ticket to the Rogers Centre by beating Brantford, Halton (soon), Cambridge, Guelph, and Brampton, give your head a huge shake. I hope you guys keep this chirpping up when you play Essex or Soo in the playoffs first round, and then you could have Hamilton waiting for you. 
LONDON FB is BACK
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 16-Jul-12 @ 08:45:32AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Wouldn't say the London ticket to the Rogers is punched but its in hand and ready to give to the ticket taker.  Essex, Sault, Hamilton is doesn't matter.  Mustangs will be well prepared and at full speed for the last few weeks after sitting out a few key guys this weekend cause of Canada Cup.  If they had of all played the score vs MT would have been even higher.  Key is everyone has bought in to what is being preached.  This is the best OV team ever out of London!  See you all at the Rogers Center!
so true
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 16-Jul-12 @ 08:55:37AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Wow some really bold statements here. When you win a game by a rouge there should be a rule that you can't brag about yourself being dominant. By the way that team you almost lost to isn't going to make the playoffs. Just an FYI, if you didn't see their game against Essex anyone who was there will tell you that the score is in absolutely no way reflective of that game. Essex marched the ball all over London and couldn't finish. Then the QB gets knocked out. If London plays Essex in the final Essex will win, and maybe even a convincing win by 14. Calm yourselves down and take a cold shower in London, if you think you punched a ticket to the Rogers Centre by beating Brantford, Halton (soon), Cambridge, Guelph, and Brampton, give your head a huge shake. I hope you guys keep this chirpping up when you play Essex or Soo in the playoffs first round, and then you could have Hamilton waiting for you. 

this post is so true! Cambridge is probably better than their record suggests but they handled london's offense and their offense was able to move the ball on london too.  Beating a non playoff team by a rouge is not dominating by any means.  Even beating guelph 28-7 considering how bad essex pounded guelph.  I think that Essex is a much more dangerous team with mcduffie at qb now as he is a dynamic runner.  he was the difference maker in cambridge and if they did not have him at qb in that game it may have been a different outcome.  I think having him play the full game against London in the playoffs now that he has all the games under his belt Essex will take London!
Hope You Heard
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 16-Jul-12 @ 10:48:56AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Wouldn't say the London ticket to the Rogers is punched but its in hand and ready to give to the ticket taker.  Essex, Sault, Hamilton is doesn't matter.  Mustangs will be well prepared and at full speed for the last few weeks after sitting out a few key guys this weekend cause of Canada Cup.  If they had of all played the score vs MT would have been even higher.  Key is everyone has bought in to what is being preached.  This is the best OV team ever out of London!  See you all at the Rogers Center!

There it is, London has been named the 2012 OV champs apparently.
As a whole
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 16-Jul-12 @ 11:08:03AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I'm not from London and I'm not a London supporter.  I'm not saying they will win the OVFL championship either.  But I will say that London is the best OVFL overall team I've ever seen in the league and I've been with the OVFL since day 1.  By best overall team I mean a combination of great offense, defense, special teams, and coaching. 

That being said, the entire league is stronger than it's ever been.  The calibre of play and coaching has increased every year in the OVFL.
2012 Champs
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 16-Jul-12 @ 11:27:14AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Agreed.  Lets forgot all the games and enjoy our summer

Maybe a team can claim the 2013 championship so we can save some money
nowwhats
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 16-Jul-12 @ 12:19:10PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

So what exactly is the going rate for such success?

Is Bertoia getting 2500?  5000?  10,000?

If they DO win the title, can he hold out for more money?  Why not, since obviously no matter what he is being paid, he is out-performing expectations of his team.....

What's it worth to another team relatively close-by to London to buy this staff?

What if Cambridge offered $25k?   Halton $50k?

Laugh Now
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 16-Jul-12 @ 12:50:16PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

If they DO win the title, can he hold out for more money?  Why not, since obviously no matter what he is being paid, he is out-performing expectations of his team.....

What's it worth to another team relatively close-by to London to buy this staff?

If you read this and started to laugh, thnk again..... This is a great point, when will coaches start to negotiate the cost of their services? This may be good for them but for those organizations that can't afford to pay their coaches it may create a huge imbalance. Good point whoever said this.
Afford
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 16-Jul-12 @ 12:52:40PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

If a team can afford to pay their coaches then that's great.  If an OVFL team got a major sponsor and was able to pay their coaching staff $25K that would be amazing and I'm all for it!  But it is a fine line when trying to balance player fees with coaching salaries....if player fees go way up to pay coaches, you will not get as many kids playing.

Ultimately the goal would be for an OVFL team to find sponsorship and / or do a heck of job fundraising and making money at home games off of gate and concessions so that they can pay their coaching staff.

I don't know why people are upset about paying coaches....like anything in life you get what you pay for.  Obviously the calibre of coaching will increase if you provide a salary.  Improved coaching will only strengthen the league and the calibre of play.  What's happened in London this year is a major positive for the league.  I really hope other teams follow their highly successful model.
but
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 16-Jul-12 @ 02:47:29PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

The reason London is a successful is a combination of good players and good coaches - even with that they beat a non playoff team by a rouge - they are beatable by teams with volunteer coaches.

If London does lose, this chat room will light up - the have not won anything yet.
dont matter
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 16-Jul-12 @ 05:34:39PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

but they will!! and even when they smack every team on their way to the finals, all anyone on here will say is they got lucky because this player wasnt here or because this happened. Just go watch this team play and you will see a dominant team playing a higher level then there competition...oh and one more thing NATE BEHAR YOU ARE RIDICULOUS!!  this kid cannot be stopped!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Reply  |  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: